SAGA:prioritize maintenance and repair

Application Domain: Equipment maintenance

Purpose: To prioritize maintenance and repair actions.

Features: This customer has to repair hundreds of broken systems (mechanical and electronic equipment). The main problem is deciding the order in which the equipment should be repaired. Repairs are achieved along three different steps: failure diagnosis, subcontract of the repair and in-house repair. Three expert systems are scoring the broken systems, depending on their status, to rank them and decide which ones will be diagnosed, sub-contracted or repaired in-house. Rules are based on MTBF and MTTR, spare part availability, human resource and repair equipment availability and criticality of the need for the system in the field. An evaluation of SAGA’s performance demonstrated that its rankings were as good as those made by the best maintenance managers 85% of the time. The remaining 15% resulted from circumstances unknown to the system.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s